Thursday, November 8, 2007

Gîkûyû Locale

I want to start a small project on a Gîkûyû locale. Would be glad to here if anyone has created this before or can refer me to one.

A Locale is a set of parameters that defines the user's language, country and any special variant preferences that the user wants to see in their user interface.

Related links:
  1. Codes for the Representation of Names of Languages
  2. Internationalization and localization
  3. IETF language tag
  4. Language Subtag Registry
  5. Common Locale Data Repository

2 comments:

Jean said...

I've previously tried to start up a Swahili translation project for Plone, but since I don't know the language and couldn't be present in Nairobi, the effort foundered. I'd be very willing to provide technical assistance if you'd like to translate Plone to Gîkûyû!

See http://plone.org/development/teams/i18n for a start ..

Dorcas Muthoni said...

Thanks Jean, that very useful. I will definitely be calling on you. I haven´t worked on this kind of a project before. I do have great interest in localization though. Will be glad to learn and see what else we can work on. I know a group is working on a Swahili translation project for Ubuntu (osskenya.org) too.